HepaFat-Scan is a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)-based technology for the non-invasive measurement of liver fat. It provides a reliable measure of volume percentage of liver fat for screening, diagnosis, treatment planning and monitoring of patients in a variety of clinical settings.
What Does HepaFat-Scan Offer You?
- A non-invasive – safe and painless alternative to liver biopsy
- An accurate result
- A faster alternative, resulting in reduced anxiety for patients by providing a reduction in testing and result waiting times.
- A test which can be used repeatedly, allowing for increased quality of life through more efficient testing and treatment programs.
Potential Clinical Applications
Gastroenterology and Hepatology Applications
- Initial workup for Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (NAFLD) diagnosis and for patient education and counselling.
- Liver fat analysis on patients already being screened or monitored for fibrosis or cirrhosis.
- Fatty liver assessment prior to liver surgery, due to increased complications with the presence of liver fat
- Screening for suitability of living donors for liver transplants by assisting in determining the viability of the liver
- Pre and post operative analysis of bariatric patients to track clinical outcomes.
Applications by Primary Care Physicians
- HepaFat-Scan may be useful to screen patients prior to prescribing known hepatotoxic medications.
- Monitoring of patients undergoing an intervention (e.g. limiting alcohol consumption or weight loss)
- Monitoring of patients prescribed medications known to induce steatosis